Saturday, September 14, 2013

Tough Decisions


Coaches sometimes have to make though decisions.  Much tougher then most people think.  This week I had to make one of those.  In all my years of coaching I have never really had to do it.  It was usually either decided for me or just flat out didn't have to worry about it.   When I was told at the beginning of the season that it was mine to make, I thought OK no big deal.   I soon realized how wrong I was.  

I have 17 high school girl players.  The most I have Ever had.  The task was given to me to divide them into two teams, not necessarily a varsity and a jv but two varsity teams with one being just a bit more competitive than the other.  The first few players was fairly easy however, as i went down the list I realize just how donating the task ahead of me was.  Most of the players were all pretty much locked in the middle.  How would I ever decide who would go where.  I am not ashamed to tell you that I agonized over this for a couple of weeks.  I thought at one time I was ready but just before I put out the list decided to wait.    Finally I just starting praying about it.  I asked God to show me where to put everyone.  Why?

When you see coaching as a ministry, you don't necessarily base teams on skill.  You have to base it on what's inside of each player.  You have to base it on what is best for each player in the long run for each player.  You have to base it on what each player will get from it.  You have to base things that as a coach YOU CAN"T SEE.  Good news is, I am on speaking terms with THE ONE who can see them.  So I leaned on Him.  Then just watching the girls play one day in practice it just happened.  It was as if I could see the teams and who was where and how each young lady had grown on that team.  It was a true vision form Him.  I have told myself all along that I didn't want this to be my team.  I wanted it to be God's Team.  That day it completely became His team.  I just pray I won't try to take it back anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment