Monday, November 5, 2012

Relationships

I have been contemplating over this post for several days.  I am not really sure where to begin or even what to write about.   Its been a week and a half.  I am finally beginning to find my voice at practice and speak up when I feel its appropriate.  Its different but its nice, I think.  I am starting to build a re pore with some of the girls.  I was walking across the parking lot to the gym a few days ago and from across the street I heard someone yell, "Hey Coach C."  I smiled turned and waved at two of our players.  Lately as soon as I walk into the gym I hear a few more, "Hey Coach C" 's and it makes me smile. 

I think the hardest relationship to forge is the one with my head coach.  Not sure if its her or me or a little of both but its just not gong as well as I hoped.  Don't get me wrong, we get along well and we often just chit chat but that true coaching bond hasn't happened yet.  My thinking is that its because we are so different both in our backgrounds and coaching styles.  She played ball t a a D 1 school and I barely played in high school.  And as I have learned from my readings lately she is more of a transactional coach and I am working to be more of a transformational coach.  Its tough, when I see her do things or says things that I don't necessarily agree with but it is her program and so I don't feel its my place to say anything. 

One thing is has helped my realize is that Lord willing one day when I am a head college coach, I will do my best to make any assistants I have welcome and glad to be there.  I will give them specific jobs and a say in things rather just coming along for the ride.  I want to mentor them as much or even more than I mentor my players.  I want them to know they are an important part of the team.  I am learning first hand just how hard being an assistant college coach is.  If I take nothing else form this experience, its how or not how to treat, deal with and mentor assistant coaches. 

I know with relationship between the head coach and I will get better as we feel more comfortable with each other.   It takes time to build lasting relationships.  I will do my best to make it easier and can only pray and ask the Lord to guide me along the way and if nothing else be a good influence and witness to her just simply through my words actions and deeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment