Saturday, January 5, 2013

A Chance

I had some time to think on the bus ride last night.  We lost a close, hard fought game that most probably thought we would be blown out.  On the ride my thought weren't on the game or the one we'd play in the next 24 hours.  Instead I was thinking about coaches.  Those i have played for, coached with, coached against and even those I have watched as a spectator.  I thought how it was kinda funny that there are so many different ways of coaching.  Though there are similarities, most are very different.  There seems to be no right our wrong way to coach.  There is no class you can take or book you can read that will teach it to you.  The best coaches adapt their style as needed to fit their team or even a given situation. 

I thought about how coaches develop their styles.  Most coaches glean from their experiences to develop their "style" of coaching.  My first experience with a coach was little league baseball.  When and where I grew up there was no softball so if girls wanted to play they had to play baseball with the boys.  I really didn't have a problem with this since I had a brother 15 months older than me and most of the kids in my church group that i hung out with were boys.  However, most boys or even male coaches didn't want a girl on their team. 

After tryouts, there was no guarantee that i would be chosen for a team mush less actually play.  My parents soon got a call that I was chosen and when and where I would practice.  At the first practice, I walked on the field with my glove and was welcomed with a huge smile from my coach.  He introduced me to the rest of  my teammates, all boys, who of course had mixed emotions.  I was just glad to be there. 

I can't really tell you much about that season.  All I remember was that soon my teammates all accepted my as just another teammate.  I even was starting a few games by the end of it.  My first experience with a coach was a positive one, not because of some great thing he taught me, but for the simple fact that he gave ME a chance.  When most others refused just because i was a girl, he was able to look past that and see me as just another player who wanted to play the game.  That was the greatest thing he ever could have could have done for me, well that and ask me back on hi team the next season which he did without hesitation!  He helped me learn to give players a chance, no matter what they may look like on the surface.  If they are willing, give 'em a chance.  Will is half the battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment